Friday, November 14, 2008

Hardback books and Hard decisions

I love to read. That may not seem like anything special, accept that I was held back a grade in large part due to my very poor reading skills. I am the type of person that thinks in a circular pattern...and today...this way of thinking brought me around to appreciate, yet again, a lesson I have been taught my entire life. Sometimes you have to make hard decisions in life. That is to say, that it is God's will that you go through hard times so that you can really more on him and less on your own understanding. What hard decision did I have to make in repeating the second grade? None. It was my parents who made the tough choice to do the right thing and force me to repeat a grade. I was embarrassed and ashamed at first, and begged them not to make me go back to second grade, but my parents lead by example and made the taught decision. Today I realized that had my parents taken the easy way out...my life could be entirely different. For one thing I doubt that I would have learned the self-confidence that I have. It is unlikely that I would have gone to the college I went to if I had gone to college at all. Which leads me to this conclusion: Had my parents not made the tough choice of sending me back to repeat second grade, I would never have met my beautiful wife.Reading really is good for...and so is making the taught choices in life. I am grateful that my parents have raised me to do both.I am blessed because of their obedience to God.

That being said, I really like the idea of owning my favorite books. I have started my collection, but here is a list of books I would really like to have in hardback:
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Giver - Harper Lee
A clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe - C.S.Lewis
The Pearl - John Steinbeck
Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris
A People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn
A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
A Heartbreaking Work of a Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers
The Color of Water - James McBride
High Fidelity - Nick Hornby
1984 - George Orwell

I am sure there are a ton of others, but that's all I'll list now. Tell me what books you love and which ones you wish you owned.

2 comments:

Mama B said...

I am glad you can appreciate the tough decisions we have had to make. I am also glad Kimberly was the indirect result of one of those decisions. You are one awesome son. Yo Mama

Prosso said...

The Sun Also Rises
Between Two Rivers