Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Career Change ( Part 1 )

As you may have read, I am searching for a career in which I can utilize my education and experience more fully. I have been working with a career counselor to tidy up my resume and give it the attention I am hoping to gain from prospective employers. After I completely resume boot camp and came out strong and ready for the job field, I updated my old resume on numerous job posting sights. Almost immediately I started to receive e-mails informing me that a company had seen my resume and thought I might like to apply for a position they had opening. Usually they are pretty boring jobs and have one or two things that makes them a no go for me. For example:
Sales Manager for a Fortune 500 Company - great job in the long run but the payment is based 75% on commission and since I have a mortgage I am not down with that.
Health and Safety Trainer for the State of Texas - sounds easy enough, but requires you to be traveling 50% of the year. No dice.
I get a lot of job offers like these, but very rarely does one catch my eye ( for good OR bad reasons ) like an offer I got e-mailed yesterday. This particular offer was from the State of Texas Health and Human Services department. The job fit so much of my criteria, too! Great pay, a great set schedule, incredible benefits, and little to no travel. You may be asking your self "Geeze oh Lou! Why did he take the job?!" Well my friend, the positions I was encouraged to apply for was Progress Auditor for Sexually Violent Criminals. Now, I know most of you haven't seen my resume, but there is absolutely NOTHING on it that would make me a good candidate for this job! What must they be looking for?! I think perhaps the only criteria for this job is that you ,yourself, can not be a Sexually Violent Criminal.

As of now I have declined the offer to apply for this position, but I was gracious about it. When I receive job offers like this one it reminds me...maybe selling jeans isn't so bad.

Cheers!

No comments: