Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The President

Yes, today is inauguration day. This past week has been the most coverage that a presidential inauguration has ever received. Hours upon hours of celebrity news casters explaining just why Obama is going to be the so great and why it is that his presidency is So important. All of this talk and hype about this man has been very off-putting and confusing to me. I was raised in a home race was never an issue. Racism was a sin like lying, stealing, cheating, or anything else. I feel as though a lot of what I am hearing and seeing in this excitement about our new president is racism. Only yesterday did we celebrate the life of man that worked so hard to help push our society to a point at which we would all have learned "not to judge a man by the color of his skin but rather the content of his character" and yet so many people wanted so badly to have "a black president". Is that not a judgement based on the color of his skin? His character should be put to question until it is proven as should and has been the true heart of all past presidents. America wants to give it's self a big pat on the back and say "Look! Equality! A black man is our president!" But until we pay no mind what race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation a person is we have not experienced true equality. To me, this is a hollow victory. A surface win.

I want to be very clear that I feel a duty to pray for the president no matter who they are. Also, let us be clear that I do not have anything against Mr. President. I am simply dismayed that our country STILL doesn't understand what it means for racism to be abolished.


In other news, I have been playing alot of disc golf lately and loving it. It's so great to be outside and not sitting in front of a TV or Computer. It's nice not to be a loser. Yep...I totally said that. If you spend all your free time playing video games and watching TV or movies and not going out and experiencing what is outside of your home...I think you are losing out...there by making you a loser. Logic!

If you want to come play disc golf or do anything else outside* drop me a line and let me know. I am down!

*all activities must be legal and not involve nudity or ferocious animals.

No comments: